By Heiko Genzlinger, CEO, Trademob
The time when all apps needed as many users as possible is over. It’s not about hitting as many people as possible anymore, it’s about hitting the right ones: competition is increasing, people are using less apps and the cost of acquiring users is rising – as also Trademob’s latest analysis of CPIs confirmed. So now the hunt is on for quality users. Mobile app retargeting is one way to ensure your arrows find their way to the best (and most profitable) targets.
But how do we go about it? Here is a checklist of retargeting essentials that helps to create the conditions for effective retargeting campaigns:
- A large user base. Well, of course, you can’t retarget users unless you have ones to retarget. An effective campaign requires a critical mass of consumers. Actual figures depend on the market and app type. Basically: Retargeting is better suited to established apps, or apps that already have acquired a large user base, thanks to previous acquisition campaigns.
- Deep-linking ability. For a classic acquisition campaign, banners simply need to take the user to the app store. Users being retargeted already have the app installed and therefore need to be taken into the app. At the very least, banner clicks should be able to open the main page of the app. However, I suggest you take things a little further and make campaigns more specific and relevant to users by deep-linking to a specific part of the app, that’s achieves much better results.
- Redesign your banners and use the right message. Put simply, banners used for acquisition campaigns cannot be reused for retargeting campaigns. It’s obvious: the calls-to-action are different (encouraging users to revisit the app, not download it), as are the messages, which can be tailored to specific segments of users for maximum effect. Dividing the users into groups to be targeted, such as those who have taken actions inside the app versus those who have not, is essential before designing banners that speak to these specific groups. For more tips take a look at our ebook on banner design.
- An excellent DSP. Without a programmatic, RTB-based demand-side platform (DSP), retargeting campaigns cannot be successful. Choosing a partner that is able to effectively segment users, is connected to all relevant SSPs, and offers real-time optimization of campaigns is essential. This way your retargeting banners will be seen by more of your users in more different apps on their phones, increasing reach and delivering a valuable branding effect.
- Last, but not least: A tracking solution. Being able to track your users respectively to track whether the campaign is effective are essential parts of retargeting. So a potential tracking partner must be able to successfully match clicks and actions (for example, clicking on a retargeting banner and days later placing an order in the app) and also be able to attribute these actions to the campaign that produced them.
Retargeting presents a compelling answer to today’s complex issues of changing technologies and evolving user behavior – at drastically reduced costs. With the added inclusion of programmatic methods via RTB, retargeting truly offers an unbeatable solution.
To find out more about retargeting, join our panel on ‘Creating effective mobile retargeting campaigns’ on Thursday, April 23, at Apps World Germany. Take a look at the agenda for more information.