We gaze at our handheld devices for bigger part of the day. We often end up giving more time to apps and digital interaction than our closed ones, except obviously the time spent with them on social platforms. So, mobile apps making so deeper and bigger contribution to our everyday life, the overall standard of user experience is continuing to elevate. Apps are continuing to be better and richer in user experience. Question is, whether your app is keeping pace with this improvement. If not, it is time to rethink your UX design strategy.
Here we mention 5 key UX design tips to improve your user experience.
Make design user-centric at any cost
Why do you develop a mobile app in the first place? Well, obviously the principal motivation lies in fulfilling your business goals. But consider the other way round. If your users do not find the app enough accessible and easy to use, how can you fulfill your so called business objectives? No, you cannot and this is precisely why you need to give your users all the priority. You need to ensure user-centric design at any cost.
When in every aspect of the mobile app design you put yourself in the user’s shoes and try to solve problems from their perspectives, you are bound to deliver an app that delights users. Building an app as per user needs rather than only as per business demands are what remains to be the most important principle of UX design now. Here are some key tips for user-centric design.
- First of all, it should solve a customer problem in the easiest and appealing way possible.
- Allowing easy learning to users about how to use the app.
- Always keeping the various user constraints in mind that can interfere with user experience.
- The design should be simple and instantly accessible without requiring much effort.
Simplicity makes great first impression
As the attention span of the mobile audience is continuing to decrease it had become more important than ever to allow users quick value with exceptional ease of use. Ease of use can only be guaranteed by the simple and straightforward interface. More you can simplify the design without really compromising with the value of the app, more the app will be enjoyed by the users. The question is how can you make your app interface simple and easy to use? Here are some key tips.
- Avoid complicated setup instructions and sign-up processes for users.
- Allow users more options to choose notifications, sounds, and protocols for log-in.
- Always be clear to users and explain every step clearly.
- Offering users to log in through social media accounts is s great idea as it saves time for users.
Offer a function to search
It doesn’t take one to become an expert to understand that mobile users are an impatient lot with diminishing attention span. This is precisely why they just want any information instantly or otherwise they just quit the app altogether. There are certain app features that allow faster and more rewarding usability. The search function is one such feature. You can argue that the old menu buttons would be enough to allow easy discoverability of anything the user is looking for. But such sticky menu actually creates a lot of clutter and make the visual clarity suffer. Moreover, such menu buttons taking bigger space in the screen real estate just make things more complicated. On the other hand, through a search function, you can instantly search through the entire app and access your contents of need.
Taking pre-launch feedback is important
Those days are gone when you used to wait till your app is launched and your marketing team takes over. No, such an approach has become outdated log ago. These days a majority of top successful apps ensure doing a lot of things before the launch. Besides creating buzz before the launch the marketers are now keen on taking advantage of user-testing services. When you test the app through tools like Verify, uTest, and UserTesting.com, etc before the launch you can easily have an idea of how the users are interacting with the app.
- Pre-launch testing tools not only allows testing the target user base but also other niche users. Thus allows keeping a close tap on the way a variety of users are interacting.
- Pre-launch feedback gathering can just work wonder if you can know about the typical preference for task-based functions, the non-useful elements and their opinion about the design.
- Pre-launch feedback can be great when instead of restricting the feedback to typical terminal categories of like and don’t like, you can really penetrate deeper and understand the underlying factors.
- Repeated pre-launch testing after incorporating any change will further help to make the user experience better and richer.
- Try to give the app design a facelift with repeated changes every once in awhile. Tweak with the design elements neither before just launching it nor immediately after the launch. Each app update, however, small it is must be followed by an app testing.
Ensure a quality onboarding experience
Do you know a considerable portion of app installs are followed by quick uninstall? More importantly, a majority of these uninstalls are gone forever and their users almost never return to the same app again. Well, this is precisely why onboarding experience is so important. Without quality onboarding experience your app risks losing the most precious audience. Every app install involves your marketing effort and precious marketing dollars. So, without a quality onboarding experience, you risk losing the ROI for your app. Here are some key principles for a great onboarding experience.
- Ensure making the onboarding experience memorable and interactive to create a great first impression.
- Offer them a small tutorial to guide users through the app.
- Offer a FAQ section that can easily be accessed to take help.
- Always focus on creating a lasting impression rather than just something alright as per standard.
We must say that a great UX is a sum total of all the elements and principles mentioned above and many more. While these are time-tested principles, there is no dearth of creative scope.
By Keval Padia,
Keval Padia is a Founder & CEO at Nimblechapps, a fast-growing website development company and iOS app development company. The current innovation and updates of the field lures him to express his views and thoughts on certain topics.